Sunday, July 03, 2005

Live 8

We tuned in for some of the Live 8 coverage yesterday and I logged on to some of the Live 8 coverage on AOL.

I was disappointed. Very disappointed.

The coverage reminded me of Olympic TV coverage. Show a part of the current event, then go to some annoying "correspondent" and leave the viewer high and dry while the act is still performing. I felt like the director had ADD.

What was more frustrating was to have MTV and VH1 have the same coverage. Why not have each channel cover a few sites. I would have expected MTV to carry the Philadelphia coverage as most of the acts there were more for the younger generations (ie rap and hip-hop), while the London acts were more of the older generation.

And the two hour evening ABC coverage was a joke. But I'm sure that sooner or later there will be a multi-disc DVD of the event available.

Now, I didn't see much of Live Aid in 1985. The coverage I saw was shown by a local UHF station that did not have a powerful signal. But, they showed the concert which was why I turned on the TV on a hot, humid July day without AC in 1985.

The main act I wanted to see yesterday was the much hyped reunion of Pink Floyd. And, I was quite enjoying their performance until toward the end of Comfortably Numb the coverage went to commercial. A few explicatives burst from my mouth toward the TV and MTV/VH1 in general. And that was it. When the commercials were done, we were shown the event in Philadelphia. And the ABC coverage only showed one performance from Pink Floyd. Again, it will be available on DVD sometime. Or at AOL.

I think the mission to raise awareness of the plight of poverty in Africa was accomplished. As well as to show that a few men control the economy of the world. It just seems like a tease to those of us who tuned in to see a concert, to be left with a Cliff notes version of the concert. Why wasn't this offered on pay per view? Why weren't the multiple MTV/VH1 extended cable channels used to show the concerts?

As for the AOL coverage, the sound was poor, and every time I logged in, no act was performing anywhere. So, I just gave up.

I guess my expectations were more of what was delivered in 1985 than how the current, modern delivery of entertainment is done.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

A friend of mine shaared this link. The writer says almost the exact same thing you do.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home