Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A Mystery Revealed

So the identity of the infamous "Deep Throat" has been revealed. I was listening to a national radio feed on the local "oldies" channel tonight. The DJ was asking if "Deep Throat" was a good guy or a bad guy, and wanted people to call and give their opinions. Overall a ridiculous question about a complicated situation, in my opinion.

The first thought I had was I guess it depends on your point of view. Certainly, Nixon would call "Deep Throat" a bad guy. After all, he left office in disgrace. I'm sure at the time, many people felt that the informant was a traitor to national security, and that the scandal weakened the nation. I'm sure some would have felt that it should be covered up "for the good of the country". I'm also sure that others felt that "Deep Throat" was a good guy in leading the press to the illegal activities of a corrupt administration.

Of course, I'm sure the reality is not black and white, as most situations are tried to be viewed by our society. I have not yet read the article in Vanity Fair. (I don't think I ever read anything from Vanity Fair.) I am curious why "Deep Throat" allowed his identity to be revealed now. I am impressed that Woodward and his partner and editor kept their word all these years and did not reveal their source. I thought the world would never know who "Deep Throat" was. It brings back some of my trust in the press. At least the written press, from where I get most of my news now (besides NPR).

Anyway, that's my two cents about this. At least for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home