Saturday, May 21, 2005

Star Wars

As Eden stated in her blog, I saw Revenge of the Sith (ROTS) on opening day. It was worth the $6.50 for an evening show. And for staying awake for a few hours afterward wanting to see it again and telling her about it. Of course, it would have been better if the dialogue didn't feel stilted and the actors allowed to open up more. But then again, George Lucas isn't the best writer of dialogue. Or the best director as well. I will say that Ewan McGregor and Ian McDirmind were the best performances of the film. I would place this film as the second best Star Wars film. The Empire Strikes Back is the best, in my opinion.

I already had read the novel, as it was released in early April. So, I already knew what was going to happen. The novel had some other scenes that did not appear in the film. Nothing critical, but these scenes certainly added to the story. Just like what was not included in the Lord of the Rings films, particularly The Fellowship of the Ring. So, I was disappointed not to see Yoda conversing with the spirit form of Qui-Gon Jinn. Or how Obi-Wan didn't feel he was the best Jedi to be sent to capture General Grievous. And the battle with Count Dooku was longer. But then there are always some tidbits in the novels of the Star Wars books that aren't in the films (Luke and Biggs on Tatoonie in Stars Wars, Luke constructing his lightsaber in Obi-Wan's old hut in Jedi).

This isn't the first time I read a Star Wars book before seeing the film version. I admit this freely. I did not see Star Wars in a theater until the release of the Special Edition in the late 1990's. (Episode 4: A New Hope) I didn't see Star Wars until it was first played on network TV on CBS the night before Thanksgiving in 1988. I read the novel of Star Wars after the movie was out and it was a huge sensation. So needless to say, I expected more of the movie version when I saw it. And I had seen Empire and Jedi as well. My imagination of the story was more detailed than the film. The Special Edition is more how I imagined the story.

So, I guess this is a plug for people to read books and use their imagination to visualize the story.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I could just ask you this but I'll post it instead: what other books have you read before you saw the movie and which did you prefer (book vs movie)?

9:32 PM  
Blogger Hawk said...

Off the top of my head: Radiers of the Lost Ark, Mash, Star Trek 1-4, 2001, 2010, The Andromada Strain. Of course there are many classics as well: 20,000 Leauges Under the Sea, The Count of Monte Cristo, Robin Hood, etc.

For the most part, I'd have to say the books. I get more out of them. Of course, the Sci-Fi books aren't always the best writing. See next post.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home